Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Book of Mormon (musical) thoughts

So for the first time in my life I watched the Tony Awards; sad since I grew up in New York and went to a lot of Broadway plays, I strongly recommend same day 1/2 price tickets at the big red TCKTS booths, any way I saw that Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) has a lead role in the revival of "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying" he can sing and he looks short.

Back to The Book of Mormon Musical by the creators of South Park.  From the short skits and songs they did during the 2011 Tony Awards, my first reaction was it looks very funny.  Of course it is religious satirical musical and I laughed, I guess one of the main characters has the F-word as part of his name, but South Park always pokes at people's beliefs and assumptions. The play is wildly successful to whomever votes for the Tony Awards as it was nominated for 14 Tony Awards and won 9 - most in both categories.  I am too busy with family, job(s), school and hobbies to be offended.

The church's official response was "The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ." My emphasis added on "attempt".  The response to the Church's response from the play's creators was "And we were like, 'Nope, they're going to be cool.' We weren't that surprised by the church's response. We had faith in them."  Looks like the South Park creator's "attempt" is going over well and many more people will here about the Book of Mormon.  It is easy to get an actual copy since the church has now printed over 150 Million copies in 107 languages at a current rate of 4.58 Million a year.

You can read more about the play here wikipedia.org/The_Book_of_Mormon_(musical)
and get a free Book of Momorn here http://mormon.org/book-of-mormon/
or read or have any scriptures read to you here: http://lds.org/scriptures

No comments: